jeudi 12 février 2009

We Love Krabi!


We are thrilled to be back in what has become our favorite town in Thailand: friendly people, being the only whites in a restaurant, cheap internet and hotel rooms, good food.


I was finally able to soak up some beach time, spending all day between beach chair and water--It's warm and clear and fabulous. (Jean Yves' beach plan is to go only from 4-6 pm). Me working on my glorious, three-weeks-in-Thailand tan....
The Thai girls said everyone would be jealous of my white skin! (Here, instead of the self-tanning creams we use to be brown like them, they use "whitening creams" to be like us!)

Our bungalow just on the beach in Ko Lanta- honeymoon cliche here we come! What you can't see is Jean Yves inside in the AC, watching cricket on the TV.....


I should clarify something: when I said I missed home and wintery things like snow and fires and mulled wine, it didn't mean I actually WANT to come home. In fact, as D-Day approaches, I'm filled with some apprehension and perhaps dread. Of returning to routine, bills to pay, plus the pressure to finally find some sort of job/ career, "be responsible"..... because all the time after my PhD was just treading water waiting for Jean-Yves. Now I have no excuse! I also feel like I am supposed to have "learned something," had some meaningful life transformation, but don't feel anything of the kind so far. What I think I meant was just wanting to be cold instead of hot!
And, you can actually miss familiarity: sleeping in your own bed, food you recognize, people who love you or at least know your past, rather than seeing you as a walking, talking cash machine. :) So, it's a mixed bag. But when I feel the warm breeze on my skin, being able to sit outside at night with a drink, shorts, and no shoes and be comfortable, watching the sunset, and not having to go to work the next day, there's no contest! :)

Love,

cyn

1 commentaire: